pixelski

Fiction in Fiction in Fiction

City of Bones: Mortal Instruments, Book 1

City of Bones - Cassandra Clare Woah. So I've been watching the release of TMI since they first came out back in like 2007. But I never bought them because they seemed like every other supernatural YA novel and I wasn't sure if I'd like them. However, this year they've been gaining hype so I bought them. I must say they are a wonderful read!The characters ARE a bit cliche though: the female protagonist who's a bit of a coward at the beginning but has strong beliefs and stands up for her friends, the male love interest who has a troubled past and a strong facade but is actually quite fragile underneath, and the supporting male who's the best friend and in love with the clueless female...I don't know I guess I've read so many YA novels over the years I found that really generic.On the other hand I really liked the storyline - a different take on the job of Nephilim (not the damned, but rather saviours for humans?) and how they're created (mixing of Angel blood with human rather than mating of son of God and daughter of man!).The movement of the book isn't fast but it's not slow either so I could get through. I like how Clary tests her limit by being willing to learn more about her Shadowhunter heritage.The Silent City and especially the Silent Brothers present intrigue. Their enigmatic existence had me curious as to what else they did.Currently reading City of Ashes now!